I came across this great blog post by Corrinea about a self-draft bias cut skirt and decided to try it with one of my London fabrics. She’s titled her post “Don’t be afraid of the bias skirt!”. I glanced over it and was impressed with the simple, clear instructions. This project followed hot on the heels of the cardy wrap copy (post to follow) and I was enjoying my off-piste adventures.
I used this gorgeous cotton stretch and some cream jersey left over from another project. Bias patterns are famously wasteful of fabric but this wasn’t too bad because the fabric was very wide and the skirt not too full.
Corrinea ran up four of these skirts in a day. “Once you have your pattern made, you can finish one of these in a few hours or less” she promised. I marvelled at what I was going to achieve in a few hours.
Her instructions are very straightforward and if I had followed them faithfully (and used jersey with the right amount of stretch!!) it might have been super easy. Unfortunately…. This was not to be.
I used an old sheet to make the pattern and then cut out the skirt and waistband. Ok the problems.. I was generous with the waist and hip measurements, in case of hiccups, and ended up with a skirt that was way too big. Then there was the waistband.. The jersey didn’t have enough stretch so it was going nowhere near my waist. The more significant issue was that I – er – sewed the wrong sides together… ! I looked at the petite waistband, wondering why it was such an odd shape! Thankfully, I had more of the jersey left. So I made a couple of panels and chopped the bottom of the waistband, to widen and straighten it.
With some expert guidance from Nancy, I added a couple of darts to the front and back of the skirt (I hate darts, have to get over that).
I then sewed the waistband to the skirt. It looked quite good, except that the top of the waistband at the back was sitting out a little. I’ve had this type of skirt before and suddenly remembered the annoying way the waistband sits out at the back. So I decided to add a band of elastic to the inside of the top of the waistband.
Perfect! The handy thing about sewing it at the inside top (rather than in the middle of the waistband, as I originally planned) is that I can rip it out and sew in a new piece of elastic if this one loses its shape over time.
Et voila! The patternless bias cut skirt! I’m very pleased with the result and Corrinea is right – this is a very versatile skirt. It looks equally good with flip flops or opaques and boots.
Check out the photo shoot. Aoife and I were in Bellinter House on a girlie weekend and decided to avail of the lovely scenery for some pics.