Scout Tee #2

I’ve been harbouring a fantasy for a while though to branch out from making so many dresses to (cue drumroll) make some tops for work…. I know, I am WILD.IMG_20150408_185725

I don’t work in a super formal environment but I generally aim for neat so this kind of woven top is very handy (if not very exciting).I don’t really like curved hems on this kind of top or split hems with longer backs so this kind of thing can be a bit of a difficult thing to buy depending on what is in fashion at the time.

So the aim was to identify a go-to pattern for woven tops. They seem like such a simple thing to make and I’d love to be able to whip them up quickly (for the mythical “quick win”). I have had several abortive attempts at making woven tops thus far. The two main issues with the patterns I’ve used have been the neckline shape and the fit across the shoulders.

Reasons Scout Tee #1 didn’t make the blog.

Problem no. 1: It was GInormous on me. I have since (kind of) gotten into the habit of measuring finished garment sizes – it makes sense but I am often all excited and gung-ho at the beginning of a project so forget about it.

Problem no. 2: I couldn’t for the life of me get the neckline to sit flat.

Problem no. 3: Bad fabric choice. I made it out of a sheer checked fabric, kind of cool-looking but not well suited to this, particularly with all my neckline woes.

So on to Scout #2.

I measured a top I own from Oasis and ended up taking an inch from the pattern pieces resulting in a 4″ total reduction in circumference (if you’re into the geometry stuff like myself!). This was pretty simple to do, the only thing with any level of complication was re-correcting the neck so that I didn’t take anything out of it.

I also made up a neck facing to avoid a disaster like last time.

I sewed it all up, put it on and… so tight! Gahhhhhh! Turns out 4″ was a bit much to take out! That’ll teach me to brag about my maths abilities! It think my issue was that the back pattern piece was already narrower than the front so it didn’t need such a big reduction. I reduced the seam allowance to practically nothing and overlocked it and it was fine. I was concerned for about 10 minutes though that the whole thing would have to be scrapped.

I’m pretty happy with the shape of it. It’s quite basic but that was the aim. This material (a pink “polyester crepe” from a previous Goldhawk Rd haul) was a total pain to work with. No matter what you do (or how much you iron it), the seams look a bit crap. It also means that you have to handstitch all the hems – ugh.  I’m not sure can you see in the photo but even the tiny stitches on the hems pull a little. I also think it could do with being a little longer.

IMG_20150408_190223

Still, it is a nice top. It’s mega bright so I haven’t strayed too far my roots on that one! I’ll definitely be giving this another go. I have a trip to London (and thus Goldhawk Rd) coming up so I will keep an eye out for nice drapy fabrics for this.

I’ve been reading up on the photography side of things for the blog – turns out photos taken outside make you look less like death – who knew!? Wind apparently can be good too although it made me look like Cousin It in a lot of photos.

Picture1

The side-effect of this though is that I’ve made a load of stuff and haven’t managed to take photos yet! If I get my act together, the next run of nice weather is going to make me look like very prolific!

 The nitty-gritty

Pattern: Scout Tee by Grainline Studios

Fabric: £3/m polyester crepe in Fabric World, Goldhawk Rd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>